Squad Goals

Several years ago, while working in a traditional public school, our teachers were saddled with yet one more flaming hoop through which we were expected to jump happily, all while carrying the paper work that went along with it. Professional Learning Communities, or PLCs, became more of a hassle than an opportunity. For years, our teachers were communicating and planning with each other; but for some reason, having to document the whole process for someone who likely did not even read it made it much less enjoyable. This forced process also made it much less productive. Since the beginning of structured education, teachers who genuinely care about the success of their students have been working with other teachers in their discipline or even across curriculums to improve their own practices. Now, with the world at our fingertips, educators across the globe have found new and meaningful professional learning communities, and it has been the single most effective professional development of my career; and what's more: it's ongoing.

In 2014, after encouragement from our (very young) Spanish teacher, I joined Twitter for my classroom. I speak very basic, non-conversational Spanish, but our Spanish teacher and I had formed a great connection, and I was able to use ideas from her class in my own English class. Once a month, she hosted a nationwide Twitter chat using the hashtag #Spanstuchat. Even though I didn't know much Spanish, I would participate. I enjoyed the opportunity to show students that learning was an ongoing experience. If I wanted my students to learn, they should see me learning, as well. They knew Spanish was not a language in which I was fluent, especially after those chats; but they always welcomed me into them. These were my first experiences with Twitter chats. From a list our Spanish teacher shared, I found the professional learning community of #aplitchat, and my classroom changed for the better.

Every Sunday night during the school year (and once a month during the summer), a group of teachers across America and Canada (hey, Ruth!) come together for an hour to discuss various elements of our AP Literature classroom. We discuss everything from young adult literature and what we're reading in our own classes to lesson ideas and common texts. After the first few weeks, I began to recognize twitter handles and the names of educators as our discussions continued. The chats, led by our fearless leader @TalkswithTeachers Brian Sztabnik (New York), led to a website that is now managed by a prominent educational blogger @susangbarber Susan Barber (Georgia). This website, www.aplithelp.com, is designed to encourage and offer support and lessons to AP Literature teachers everywhere. Frankly, the site helps English teachers and teachers of writing everywhere, and I am proud to be a part of it.

As a result of this website, the collaborators communicate regularly through the Voxer app, a sort of walkie-talkie app where you can leave voice or text messages. This Voxer group is the essence of our professional learning community. We are teachers spanning the continent from Canada, New York, Virginia, West Virginia, the Carolinas, and Georgia to Texas, Iowa, Michigan, and California. Prior to June 10, I had only met in person two members of our group; but regardless of seeing them in person, I consider all of these educators my friends, and I am humbled to be a part of their community.

Several of these teachers have participated in the AP reading over the years, but I had never really considered even how these exams were graded, much less that I could or should be a part of it. This year, I was blessed with the opportunity to read for the AP Literature and Composition exam in Kansas City, Missouri. This opportunity would not have been afforded me if it were not for this group of extraordinary educators in this professional learning community whom I have the privilege to call friends. Their discussion of their own experiences led me to apply for this year's reading, and I was so excited to be invited to participate. For seven days, I had the awesome experience of grading essays for eight hours and hanging out with friends for the times in between and after. These people are my tribe. It's rare to find a group of six who actually want to sit on the ground to see an outdoor production of Hamlet. (Thanks for the jacket seat, Jori!) We had a great time all week, and I learned so much not just from the process of the reading, but from spending downtime with some of the country's most amazing educators, even if using a selfie-stick is beyond some of them.

As our week came to a close, I took inventory of the whole experience. Despite walking four blisters onto my feet on the first day, having an ankle eaten by ants on the third day, actually vomiting into a plastic bag on the fifth day (thank you, Adrian and Susan, for taking care of me), and grading almost 1000 essays, it was one of the best weeks of my life, and it was all because of the people with whom I was blessed to share it. I am already looking forward to next year!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Seniors

A Reminder for my Graduates