Back to School (Already)

I have the privilege of teaching in a small, public charter school that operates on a modified year-round calendar. This is my fourth year here, and after teaching for thirteen years on a traditional ten-month calendar, I must say... I LOVE IT! Don't get me wrong, I miss the lengthy summers associated with the traditional calendar, but on our schedule, we teach for nine weeks followed by a two-week track out. For us, this track out lands at the end of September and the beginning of October (and the middle of March in the spring), the perfect time for cooler weather; the perfect time to enjoy my morning coffee on the screened porch; the perfect time to recharge for the next nine weeks. While my summer is three to four weeks shorter than the average teacher's summer, let's be honest: the longer the summer, the more difficult it is for us and for students to get back into the swing of things. And if you were to ask our high school students, most of them are ready to be reunited with their friends by the end of July. The majority of them get almost eight weeks off for summer, anyway. Teachers' six-week break offers enough of a respite to be ready to jump in when the end of July comes roaring at us.

This year, our school is implementing several changes; and while I am always ready and willing to try new things, new things can often be a bit intimidating, especially when it affects such a large number of students. Over the brief summer break, our school leadership team decided to implement a SMART (Students Maximizing Achievement, Relationships, and Time) block prior to lunch so that students can receive extra help or interventions in the event their grades drop below a 70. I am excited to see how this new schedule will affect our students' overall performance, and I hope to be able to use this time for AP enrichment, as well. I am hopeful, too, that this will be a time for reading and reflection for those students who do not need extra help. I teach seniors, and part of my requirement is choice reading. This extra twenty-five minutes of the day is a great way for these students to relax and actually enjoy what they're reading. For others, it will be a time they can make up work missed after an absence or even to ask questions for clarification on assignments they may be struggling to complete. Even though our students lost fifteen minutes of their previously fifty-minute lunch, to my surprise, I've only overheard minimal griping about it. One of my AP students mentioned today how grateful she is for this SMART block because it is scheduled time during her day when she can work on homework. She plays volleyball, and their practice sessions are at 5:30 in the morning. This SMART block truly is, for her, a maximizing of her time. This is going to be an exciting year!

I think I'm most excited about the seniors I get to teach this year. So far, I am really impressed with them. They are polite, conscientious, and willing to try new things. Several of them are actually excited about my class! I hope it's contagious! Here's to an early but awesome beginning of our new year! May yours be as exciting as mine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Seniors

A Reminder for my Graduates

Squad Goals