My Seniors

My seniors. That may sound like a strange moniker for me to use, but that's what they are. You see, with the exception of one elective class, all I teach are seniors. In fact, I teach nearly every single senior at East Wake Academy. Our superintendent refers to me as "The Gatekeeper." This whole situation where, in North Carolina, our schools are closed until at least May 15, breaks my heart for my seniors. While everyone else is inconvenienced by schools closing, my seniors are missing out on key events they've waited years to experience. While most of them have been to prom, they have not been to prom as a senior. They do not have an opportunity to wear a crown as Prom Queen or Prom King. Many of my young ladies spent countless hours shopping for that perfect dress, only to lose the opportunity to wear it while dancing with their best friends and classmates and making funny poses in the photo booth. For most of them, they didn't even get an opportunity to be asked to prom using pepperonis on a pizza or M&Ms on a cookie cake. My young men will not have the chance to open her car or limo door, make a poster asking her to be his date, or pose for pictures in a tux with their mamas. These things may happen at a later date, and I truly hope they do, but there will be something different about having prom in the summer as opposed to the spring as a part of their actual school year. These seniors are missing their senior shenanigans and senior skip day, probably their senior breakfast, and they may even have to push back their long-awaited graduation ceremony. All of these "lasts" and "only times" may not happen for my seniors; and if they do, it will be under these surreal circumstances, circumstances that will disjointed somehow. I am incredibly sad for my seniors.

I know most of the parents of my seniors know exactly where I'm coming from. They've invested far more time, energy, money, blood, sweat, and tears into their seniors than I have. I mean, they've only been mine since late July, but I love these young ladies and men, and my goal each year is to give them a smooth transition from high school to college, career, and their future, but it's also to give them a senior English class that they can look forward to walking into each day. I look forward to seeing them every day, and we now are faced with the prospect of not seeing each other in person for quite some time. Usually, when my seniors face stressful situations, they know they can come into room 211, plop down on a couch, exhale loudly, say what they need to say, and know that I'm there for them. Many who are not parents or teachers of seniors may not understand why I'm so sad, but I'm one who gets to see the pictures of their dresses on their phones and one who gets to hear the plans for the promposals. Now, I'm not able to be there for them in person when I know they are far more devastated than I am.

My seniors, I'm sure you know you can still contact me and say what you need to say; and know that I understand there's something different when you can't say it in person. Say it anyway. You know I'll listen to you. Prom may not happen, or it may be much later this year. Dance anyway. You know I'll dance with you. Classes will be different, and you will have to be a little more independent with your learning. Learn anyway. You know I'll be learning with you.

This is a temporary and uncomfortable new normal for us, and we will navigate it together. In the end, I hope you will look at this as a year where you stood out. Your theme for this year is "Our Story," modeled after the Toy Story franchise, and this is the theme your class chose. Just like each of Andy's toys, each of you is unique and individual. Some of you may have had some rougher experiences than some of the other toys; your springs may have been stretched a little too far and perhaps you're missing a shoe, but you are so loved; you still have a place in the toy box. You stand out because each and every one of you has a unique quality that makes you amazing and valuable and memorable, just like this crazy year in which you are graduating. This year, this 2020, has had an unusual and memorable start, to say the least; but 2020 can still be amazing and valuable, as well. This is your opportunity to show an exceptional amount of joy to everyone you encounter, to spread an unprecedented amount of kindness to those less fortunate, to make amazing plans for your future, to read and share good books, to FaceTime with your grandparents and out-of-town family members and friends, to play games with your younger siblings and your parents, to put away the gaming consoles and spend time with your family. I mean, they're already there, and they aren't going anywhere. Don't spend all your time locked in your room, but use this time to reconnect with yourself and do all the things you used to love but somehow let go by the wayside. Write music and poetry, paint and sculpt, create and share on social media! You all have so much talent and NOW is the time to showcase that and shine! Send your creations to me and I will share them on my school Twitter and Instagram accounts for the world to see! Be the light!

My seniors, I love each of you, and whether you are a believer or not, I'm praying for each of you; for your safety, for the safety of your families, and for your senior year to be memorable for good reasons, too. Keep your chin up, stay positive, and make good choices. <3


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Reminder for my Graduates

Squad Goals