A Letter to My Graduates

As I wrap up another year of teaching, I sit here in reflection of the goings-on in Room 211 this year. With the exception of six seniors, every individual of the class of 2018 spent at least one semester in this classroom. While I came to know a few better than others, this class has been an interesting bunch, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't going to miss them, especially my second period AP Literature students who had to put up with me for both semesters. At the end of the year, I have my AP students write three letters: one to their parents (which I mail out two days prior to graduation), one to a high school teacher who has had a positive impact on them (and while I LOVE getting these letters, they do not have to write one to me), and one to their future self, which I will mail out in four years. Since they are now gone, and I won't have to sit in front of them quietly wiping away tears, I would like to share with them, and with you, my letter to the class of 2018.

My dear class of 2018,

After May 31, I may not ever see some of you again. Before you head off into this great big, beautiful world, I want to leave you with a few choice words.

Your future will present you with opportunities that will enrich your life. Take advantage of those opportunities every chance you get. Join the study group with students you've never met; apply for that management position; learn a new skill; attend campus church services or student unions; get a job on campus; study abroad. My biggest regret of my college career was not taking a semester to study in another country. My second biggest was waiting two years to see what amazing things my campus had to offer like the clogging team or the women's choir. Take classes for fun. Even if you're in the college of engineering, take that Shakespeare class, or the theatre 101. Take fencing or bowling or roller skating. Take social dancing. (You'll thank me later for that one.) Even the smallest campuses have fun classes. For all classes, research your professors. Find out which ones connect the most with students. These are the professors you want if you can get them. These are the professors who will help you be your best you. For those going into the military and the workforce, be punctual, be loyal, and work hard. Your superiors will take note of these and eventually reward you for strength in these areas. 

In many of your yearbooks, I wrote about how I look forward to hearing about all the wonderful, amazing things your future holds. I meant that. There are few things I enjoy more than hearing about the successes of my former students. Just this past year, a former student ran for a congressional seat. While he lost his primary, I was so proud to say I taught this young man, and I told him that I hope he will continue to run and fight for positive changes to our communities, state, and nation. Another former student is completing his OBGYN residency at NYU after a long, tedious educational journey. I could go on and on about the awesome futures former students have made for themselves; at the same time, I could talk about the numerous former students who fell into hard times and, one way or another, ended their futures quite abruptly, to the sorrow of their friends and family and their former teachers. When you find yourself in a situation with people of questionable character, remove yourself. Do not allow yourself to fall victim to any friend who would encourage you to do anything to risk your physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual health. Sometimes, breaking relationships that you have held for many years is difficult and almost always painful; but in the end, you must realize and accept your potential greatness, and you must stay on the path that leads to the fulfillment of your purpose, and that means leaving some people behind. Even if you do not yet know your purpose, one thing is clear: your purpose is not to become an alcoholic; your purpose is not to become a drug addict or a victim of an overdose; your purpose is not to become someone's punching bag. You are not a victim but a victor! You have been given the gift of education, and regardless of what your home situation may be or may have been, you are valuable, you are important, and your voice matters. You are not a statistic, you are not defined by your looks or your gender, you ARE the future, and you have teachers who, perhaps despite some poor behavior choices as an underclassman, love you, believe in you, and have faith that you will MAKE GOOD CHOICES for your future. We teachers love to brag on "our" kids.

Whatever your immediate future holds, be it university, community college, the military, or the work force, go forth with purpose. Even if your purpose is to figure out what exactly it is you want to do, set that as a goal, and work towards it. Do things, hard things, that you think might lead to fulfilling your purpose; and do them with gusto!  Most of all whatever you're doing, do it with integrity and genuine kindness. Being kind to some can be difficult, especially when some are less than kind to you. Be kind anyway. Stooping to someone else's low does not prove anything. Rising above and helping, even helping those who have at some point hurt you, is a true test of kindness. The world is a big place. By choosing kindness, by choosing a smile over a scowl, by helping someone when they aren't asking for help but clearly need it, you start a chain reaction of kindness that others can reciprocate and perpetuate. Pretty soon, you find yourself smiling through painful situations. Those smiles will help you endure hardships.

And when times get tough and smiling seems impossible, that's okay, too. Find a fluffy blanket, some soft socks, a pair of sweatpants, and your favorite t-shirt, grab some tissues and some ice cream or pizza (or whatever), and watch Marley and Me or A Dog's Purpose for a good cry. Every now and then, we all need a good cry and these movies will do it. My husband recently lost his hunting dog of thirteen years, Reed. Reed loved to hunt more than anything, and he took hunting very seriously. He was always ready to go, and he picked up thousands of ducks and geese over the course of his years. When he passed away, my husband was distraught, but he made this profound statement about Reed: if humans were as loyal and forgiving as dogs, this world would be a better place.


So this is the challenge I leave with you: live your life like a dog. Be loyal. Forgive always. Be excited to see your family and your friends. Be cautious of strangers. Drink lots of water. Take regular poops. Go to the doctor once a year for a check-up. Play (safely) every chance you get, but work hard, work proudly, and work with integrity when it's time to do your job. Class of 2018, I know you. You're dogs. And I love dogs. Everyone loves dogs. Go live your dog-life with purpose.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Seniors

A Reminder for my Graduates

Squad Goals